Pakistan Veterinary Medical Council was established to Standardize basic and higher qualifications in veterinary sciences and animal husbandry. And Regulate veterinary practice through registration, licensing and implementation of code of conduct and ethics amongst veterinary practitioners.
To facilitate the Veterinary/Animal Husbandry Education and Research and to encourage collaborative research across disciplines, institutions and agencies by reducing administrative barriers and by nurturing and rewarding successful team-oriented researchers to fulfill the demands and to meet the sectoral needs of Veterinary/Animal Husbandry Profession.
The PVMC was established in 1999 under the Pakistan Veterinary Medical Council Act 1996. At its inception, the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock was incharge. In 2007, the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock was established and PVMC was established under the new Ministry. After the 18th Amendment of the Constitution in 2011, the Ministry of Livestock and Dairy Development was declared a Provincial matter and the Ministry was terminated at the Federal level and the PVMC was administered by the ministry of IPC. PVMC Secretariat is located at Islamabad. 41 Mauve Area, G-10/4, Islamabad.
Composition of the Council
PVMC Act, 1996 Section 3
- There shall be constituted in accordance with the provision of this Act a Council to be known as the Pakistan Veterinary Medical Council.
- The Council shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with powers to acquire, hold and dispose of property and enter into contract and shall be its name sue or be used.
- The Council shall consist of:-
- one member from each Province to be nominated by the Provincial Government;
- one member each to be nominated by the Vice Chancellor of each University from among the members of the Veterinary and the Animal Husbandry Faculty of the University;
- four members to be elected from among themselves by the Central Executive Committee of Pakistan Veterinary Medical Association, a society registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 (XXI of 1860);
- four members to be nominated by the Federal Government of whom at least one shall be member of the Remount Veterinary and Corps;
- one member each to be nominated by the Head of each Veterinary Institution in Pakistan which trains for a recognized veterinary qualification form among its teaching staff; and
- Animal Husbandry commissioner, Livestock Division, Government of Pakistan.
- No person shall be qualified to be elected or nominated as a member of the Council unless:-
- he is registered with the council; and
- he possesses a recognized veterinary qualification obtained not less than five years before his election or nomination:
Provided the qualification at (i) above shall not apply to a person to be elected or nominated for the first Council, but such person shall get himself registered with the Council within six months of its constitution.
- The headquarters of the council shall be at such place as the Council may determine.
PVMC Act, 1996 Section 4: Terms of office of Member of Council:-
- A member shall hold office for a term of four years. But shall be eligible to be re-elected or re-nominated.
- When the term of office of a member is about to expire, his successor shall be elected for nominated, as the case may be, any time within three months before the term expires, but he shall assume office only after expiry of the term of incumbent.
- A member may, at any time, resign his office by tendering his registration in writing to the President of the council.
- A casual vacancy in the office of member shall be filled in through election or nomination, as the case may be, within three months of the occurrence of the vacancy.
- A member elected or nominated to fill a casual vacancy shall hold office the full term of four years.
- A member shall cease to hold office, and his office shall be declared vacant. If he fails to attend three consecutive meetings of the Council.
PVMC Act, 1996 Section 5: President and Vice President:-
- The Council shall have a President and a Vice President to be elected by the members from among themselves.
- The President and Vice President shall hold office for a term of four years.
PVMC Act, 1996 Section 6: Executive Committee:-
- There shall be an Executive Committee of the Council which shall consist of the President, the Vice-President and five members to be elected by the council from among its members.
- In addition to the powers and duties conferred and imposed upon it by this Act. The Executive Committee shall exercise such powers and discharge such duties as may be prescribed.
- In addition to the Executive Committee, the Council may constitute such other committees for general or special purposes as it may deem necessary to carry out the purposes of this Act.
Our Future Vision
- To bring the Country Veterinary and Education Standard at par in line with the global requirements.
- Exchange of faculties among the Veterinary Institutions.
- Students exchange program within Veterinary Institutions.
- Liaising with Veterinary Institutions abroad.
- Students exchange program of Veterinary Institutions abroad.
- Establishment of National Veterinary and Animal Husbandry reference Library.
- Scholarship programs in the country and abroad.
- Welfare schemes for Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Graduates.
- Loan facility for Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Graduates.
- Establishment of Training Wing for the pre and in service Veterinarians.
- Job placement center for Veterinary/Animal Husbandry Graduates.